Utah GOP Senator Compares Local Conservative Group To Westboro Baptist Church

utah republican senator steve urquhart

Senator Steve Urquhart (R)

Republican State Senator Steve Urquhart (St. George) took to Facebook over the weekend, responding to conservative lobbyist organization Sutherland Institute’s fight against the Sundance Film Festival by comparing the group to the infamous Westboro Baptist Church.

“The Sutherland Institute is expertly using the media to conduct its fundraising campaign based on the reliable 3 pronged approach of fear, hatred, and intolerance.” Urquhart wrote on Sunday. “The Sutherland Institute – Utah’s version of the Westboro Baptist Church – is calling for a book burning.”

The Kansas based Westboro Baptist Church is known for protesting the funerals of soldiers and gays, claiming that God hates America. They also picket highly-publicized events, such as the funeral for the slain children in Newtown, Connecticut.

On their website this past week, Sutherland called for the state to stop providing funding for the annual film festival because the films shown are ‘contrary to [Utah’s] values.’ “Given the amount of sexual promiscuity that Sundance Film Festival regularly brings to Utah, it seems similarly indecent that Utah’s major economic development agencies basically endorsed the event.”

Each year, Utah puts roughly $500,000 into the Sundance Film Festival, the largest film festival in the nation. Thanks to the festival’s popularity, Utah’s economy reaps back an estimated $80 Million annually, mostly from tourists.

“Sutherland, like every other individual and organization, has the right to express its opinion.” continues Urquhart. “I’m simply exercising my right to say that when [Sutherland Institute] talks about its version of ‘Utah values’ those often seem to be fear, hatred, and intolerance.”

Senator Urquhart also told his nearly 2000 followers on Facebook about a conversation he had with Sutherland president Paul Mero in 2007, during which Mero, according to Urquhart, pushed the Senator to embrace the idea that the ‘age of small government is dead.’ “[Mero told me] we need to embrace big government, and use it for conservative purposes. In other words, use government to force people to live in ways Sutherland deems acceptable. To me, conservative values mean smaller government so that people have more freedom to live as they choose without government interference.”

The Sutherland Institute spends thousands of dollars and countless hours each year lobbying lawmakers on a range of conservative issues. They are also one of the original signors of the Utah Compact.

Calls to the Sutherland Institute for comment were not immediately returned.

11 comments for “Utah GOP Senator Compares Local Conservative Group To Westboro Baptist Church

1. January 14, 2013 at 10:24 am

I love Steve Urquhart.

2. Tom Lewis
    January 14, 2013 at 11:44 am

When did extremism in any form become a conservative philosophy?

3. Curtisjunk
    January 14, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I appreciate a GOP politician being honest and real about the influence of these extremist groups. The Sutherland Institute is only the tip of the right wing zealot fear-monger iceberg.

4. John Merrick
    January 14, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I thought he was going to refer to the Magpie Forum Sister Ruzycka and Brother Phelps being nearly cousins and all.

Give Mr. Urquhart props for standing up.

5. Paul
    January 14, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Where do we find more conservatives like Mr. Urquhart? WOW! I really like this guy. Utah’s own Barry Goldwater.

6. Brian King
    January 14, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Gotta say, Sen. U. hit the nail on the head on this one.

7. Xandaira
    January 16, 2013 at 2:03 pm

About twenty years ago, I wrote a letter to the editor that could be construed as having a liberal slant. The Sutherland Institute looked up my name in the phone book and sent me a mailing that contained a list of reasons why Hillary Clinton is (was) horrible, and several of them were that she has a “fat a**.” I had no idea who they were at the time and it made me feel so creeped out I switched to a non-published phone listing. I (now) find it amusingly ironic that these people profess to believe that God wants us to choose for ourselves and Satan was cast off for wanting to force everyone to choose God’s plan. (But still creepy.)

• lyall
      February 6, 2013 at 3:08 pm

interesting story zandaira, seeing that sutherland didn’t even exist 20 or so years ago.

• Terri McLain
        February 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Sutherland Institute was established legally in 1994. I believe that was 19 years ago and 3 months.
        I would say that is about 20 years ago.